Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Canadian Buttermilk Pancakes



Does the world really need another pancake recipe, is a good question to ask at this stage... I thought I'd share my story of how I became known as the 'pancake-asaurus' in our family. Yes, that was one of those little family words that we took the liberty of making up based on the amount of fluffy Canadian pancakes I could pack away, leaving my bigger brothers in the dust at age three.

As I've mentioned on my blog before, my childhood was filled with vibrant adventures with my family that took us from living in a desert country on the West Coast of Africa to a small village in Canada where my father worked as a doctor. If there's one thing that the Canadians added to our quirky array of culinary favourites it is breakfast pancakes with maple syrup and bacon. To this day when we have family gatherings it usually involves my father (who's specialties include this, and cooking fish to absolute perfection) to don my mother's apron and get his hands dirty.

So, living back in Southern Africa today we take it upon ourselves to educate our friends and family about the absolute wonder that is pure, imported maple syrup combined with salty bacon and a knob of melted butter. Even my husband has had to resolve himself to the fact that this is one bit of Canada he can't get out of me and he's embraced it to become part of our repertoire. I must say, my husband and I have added fresh berries and Bulgarian yoghurt to the mix. Yes, that's Bulgarian yoghurt with bacon, I know what you are thinking... 

So on that note, if you haven't tried this combination, I'd strongly recommend it. Here's a delicious recipe for buttermilk pancakes I love to make:

Canadian Buttermilk Pancakes

(Makes 14 portions)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
  • 3 tbsp (45 ml) granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
  • 1 3/4 cups (425 ml) buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, melted
  • 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
  • 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
Method:

In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until combined and smooth.
Lightly brush large nonstick pan with some of the oil. Heat the pan over medium-high heat.
Using a 1/4 cup per pancake, pour the batter into the pan and allow it to spread slightly to form pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to a platter, cover and keep warm at 120°C in the oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment