Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Orange and raspberries with vanilla syrup

As much as I love making short crust pastry and whipping meringues to perfection, there's something that's just great about simple recipes that have that wow- factor. A fellow foodie once sent me a quote by Jamie Oliver, I probably won't get it exactly right, but it went something like this: "If you are the kind of person that can make their own puff pastry, you obviously have a good life and not enough work to do. Life is too short."I thought that was brilliant. Because to be honest, I am a lazy cook disguised as a pastry chef. 

So this little recipe, if you can even call it that, is dedicated to all those cooks who get me on this one. It's perfect for a summer lunch served with mascarpone or with some sweetened soft whipped cream, it's rather sexy and I don't often call food sexy...

So, simply peel oranges, cut them into rounds and arrange them on a platter. Scatter raspberries over them and drizzle the cooled vanilla syrup over the top a few hours before serving for the flavours to really infuse.

Vanilla Syrup

3 cups white sugar
3 cups water
1 vanilla pod, cut in the length

Heat the sugar, water and the vanilla pod on a medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved and allow to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment